I cut this recipe out of the December 1973 (the month my DS was born) issue of McCall's magazine. If you're a chocolate lover and love to impress people with your artistry, this is the recipe for you! A lot of directions but don't be intimidated, it's actually quite easy. And my kids LOVE it! (Cooking time does not include chilling times.) EDITED TO ADD: After seeing all these lovely photos, I feel like my more simple version looks "under dressed"... I sprinkle powdered sugar over the un-iced "log" and serve whipped cream on the side of each slice.
- 6 egg whites, room temperature (appx 1 hr)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 dash salt
- confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- candied cherry
- Grease the bottom of a 15x10x1" jelly roll pan; line w/ waxed paper; grease slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a lg electric mixer bowl, at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beaters are slowly lifted.
- Add 1/4 c sugar, 2 T at a time, beating until stiff peaks form when beaters are slowly lifted.
- With the same beaters, beat yolks at high speed, adding remaining 1/2 c sugar, 2 T at a time; beat until mixture is very thick, appx 4 minutes.
- At low speed, beat in cocoa, vanilla, salt, just until smooth.
- With wire whisk or rubber spatula, gently fold cocoa mixture into egg whites just until blended (no egg whites should show).
- Spread evenly in pan.
- Bake 15 minutes, just until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertip.
- Sift confectioner's sugar in a 15x10" rectangle on a clean linen towel.
- Turn cake out on sugar; lift off pan; peel paper off cake.
- Roll up cake jelly-roll-fashion, starting with the short end towel and all.
- Cool completely on rack, seam side down.
- FILLING: Combine ingredients in medium bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer until thick; chill.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Unroll cake; spread with filling to 1" from edge; reroll.
- Place, seam side down, on plate.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- TO SERVE: Sprinkle yule log w/ confectioner's sugar and decorate with red candied cherries and green angelica "leaves". If you can't find angelica, use cut up green candied cherries.
- NOTE:You may make the Yule Log up to a week ahead and freeze, wrapped in foil. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.