1/1 Photo of Yule Log
Sara 76's Note:
We had this as on eof our Christmas desserts this year, and it was AMAZING! It was the yummiest thing on the table, and looked really impressive too. From the Family Circle cookbook, "Tastes Of Christmas".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 50 g butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, extra
- 1Brush a 30x35cm Swiss roll tin with oil or melted butter and line the base and sides with baking paper.
- 2Preheat the oven to 180C,.
- 3Sift the flour and cocoa powder together twice.
- 4Using electric beaters, beat the eggs and sugar for 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy and increased in volume.
- 5Sift the flour mixture over the eggs and pour the butter around the edge of the bowl. Using a large metal spoon, gently fold the mixture together to incorporate the flour and butter. Take care not to over mix and lose too much volume.
- 6Spread the mixture into th eprepared tin and bake for about 12 minutes, or until the sponge springs back to the light touch.
- 7Sprinkle the extra caster sugar over a clean tea towel.
- 8Turn the sponge out onto the tea towel, close to one end, leaving th epaper on the cake. Roll up the sponge and tea towel together and leave to cool completely.
- 9To make the filling, put the white chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Bring a small pan of water to the boil, then remove from the heat. Add the cream to the chocolate and stand the bowl over the pan of water, making sure the the base of the bowl does not touch the water, until the chocolate is soft. Stir until smooth.
- 10Repeat with the dark chocolate and the cream for the topping.
- 11Leave the white chocolate mixture until it has cooled to room temperature and is the consistency of cream.
- 12Leave the dark chocolate mixture until it cools to a spreadable consistency.
- 13Using electric beaters, beat the white chocolate mixture until soft peaks form- do not overbeat.
- 14unroll the sponge, remove the tea towel and paper and spread with the filling, finishing 2cm from the end. Sprinkle with the hazelnuts. Re-roll the sponge, and trim the ends. Cut one end off on the diagonal and place it alongside the log to create a branch.
- 15Place the roll onyo a serving platter, and spread the dark chocolate topping all over it.
- 16Run the tines of a fork along the length of the roll, to give a 'bark" effect.
- 17Just before serving, dust generously with icing sugar. Decorate with fresh green leaves.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yule Log
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3359.8
- Calories from Fat 2286
- Total Fat 254.0 g
- Saturated Fat 133.7 g
- Cholesterol 917.2 mg
- Sodium 743.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 269.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 34.8 g
- Sugars 158.6 g
- Protein 68.8 g