Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Based on a recipe in "A Beautiful Bowl of Soup". I have not tried this yet; sounded good.
- 3 tablespoons butter (VEGANS replace butter with olive oil)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 5 cups vegetable stock (light-colored looks nicest)
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, peeled & cut into 3/4-inch chunks (about 1 lb. total)
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 cup pitted black olives, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 dash ground pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Melt butter in soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in vegetable stock, potatoes, garlic, salt & pepper. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer until potatoes are very tender (about 10 minutes).
- Make "caviar": stir all ingredients together in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth(will need to do in several batches).
- Return soup to pot set on medium heat; return to serving temperature.
- Garnish each serving with a small mound of "caviar". Non-vegans: You can also garnish with finely crumbled hard-cooked eggs and/or sour cream.