Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
There was Gold to be found in the Yukon...now we have the Yukon Gold potato. Delicious. Try this gratin using them and you won't be disappointed.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lb yukon gold potato
- 1 cup canadian sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chicken broth or 1⁄3 cup white wine
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs (to garnish)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch round or oval baking dish.
- Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick and combine thoroughly in a mixing bowl with 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, the sour cream, olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Arrange potatoes in a neat overlapping pattern in the baking dish. Pour chicken broth over potatoes.
- Bake 35 minutes, until potatoes are nearly-tender and the cheese and potatoes are starting to brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake another 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs.
I like yukon gold potatoes and all the ingredients in this recipe, but I found the thyme to be a bit overpowering. It was okay - we ate it but I probably won't make again.
My BF who does not even like au gratin potatoes liked this dish. I have always been intimidated by making a gratin... Looks so difficult and time consuming in most recipes. This was sooooo simple to prepare. I loved the fact that there was not a heavy cream sauce all over the potatoes. I sliced the potatoes by hand and used a "seriously sharp" cheddar cheese ( that's what was on the package!) FF sour cream, and homemade chicken stock. Mixing the potatoes with all the ingredients was a little difficult since I was trying so hard not to break up all the potato slices... so instead I just used my hands to gently "massage" all the ingredients on. I didn't have any butter so I sprayed my 9 in square pan with olive oil and then layered the potatoes in. It cooked to perfection in about 40 minutes... Loved it! Had a little crispy edge to it and the potatoes were just soooo tender! Thanks for a lovely light potato dish!