Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
Delicious and special enough for a dinner party. The richness can be adjusted by using milk in place of some of the half-and-half. Verrry Tasty!
- 5 ounces stilton blue cheese, crumbled, room temperature (about 1 1 /2 cups)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb mixed fresh wild mushroom, thickly sliced (such as chanterelle, morel, portobello, stemmed shiitake, oyster, crimini or hedgehog)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled, very thinly sliced into rounds
- Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 400°F Butter 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Place cheese in medium bowl; add 1/2 cup half and half. Using fork, mash mixture to chunky paste. Mix in 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix in remaining 1 1/2 cups half and half.
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, sherry, shallot, garlic and herbs; sauté until mushrooms, garlic and shallot are tender and liquid cooks away, about 8 minutes. (Cheese sauce and mushrooms can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover separately and chill.).
- Arrange half of potatoes on bottom of prepared dish. Spoon 3/4 cup cheese sauce evenly over. Top with all of mushroom mixture, 3/4 cup cheese sauce, then remaining potatoes. Top with remaining cheese sauce. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake gratin 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until potatoes are tender, top is golden brown and sauce is thickened, about 30 to 40 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes; serve hot.