1/1 Photo of Yukon Gold Cinnamon Rolls
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 50 mins
Potatoes help make the dough amazingly moist and tender. Bon Appetit, March 2009. Rising time is included in prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb yukon gold potato, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup warm water (105 F to 115 F)
- 3 1/4 ounces envelopes active dry yeast (scant 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/3 cups packed golden brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1For dough:.
- 2Combine potatoes, 2 cups water, and 1 tablespoon coarse salt in large saucepan. Boil until potatoes are very tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Mash potatoes with water in pan (do not drain water). Add butter and mash until butter is melted. Whisk in eggs, then 1 cup flour; mash until very smooth. Let potatoes stand until barely lukewarm, about 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, pour 1/2 cup warm water into large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment; stir in yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add potato mixture to yeast mixture; mix on low speed until well blended, 2 minutes. Mix in 3 cups flour, 1 cup at a time, beating well. Beat until sticky dough forms.
- 4Spread 1/2 cup flour on work surface. Scrape dough out onto floured work surface. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if dough is very sticky, about 8 minutes.
- 5Coat large bowl with butter. Transfer dough to bowl and turn to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, then kitchen towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- 6Meanwhile, make filling:.
- 7Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour in medium bowl. Using fork, mix in butter.
- 8Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 425°F Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Turn dough out onto well-floured work surface. Roll out dough to 24x16-inch rectangle. Sprinkle filling evenly over dough. Starting at 1 long side, roll up dough jelly-roll style, enclosing filling. Using large knife dipped in flour, cut roll crosswise into 12 pieces. Transfer rolls to baking sheet, spacing rolls about 3/4 inch apart. Cover baking sheet loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm draft-free area until almost doubled in volume, about 20 minutes (rolls will be very puffy).
- 9Bake cinnamon rolls until golden, about 20 minutes. Cool rolls 10 minutes on baking sheet.
- 10Meanwhile, make glaze:.
- 11Whisk powdered sugar, melted butter, 2 tablespoons milk, vanilla, and coarse salt in small bowl. If glaze is too thick to spread, add more milk by 1/2 teaspoonfuls as needed. Spread glaze over warm rolls.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yukon Gold Cinnamon Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 581.2
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 106.5 mg
- Sodium 634.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 86.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 37.9 g
- Protein 10.5 g