Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Found on the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation website. Thought I'd save it as you just never know when you might have a chunk of caribou to deal with.
- Pre-heat oven to 250'F. Clean caribou roast and liberally cover all sides of the meat with salt and pepper.
- Place in a roasting pan and place the 2 whole cloves of garlic on top of the roast. Do not add water. Cover and bake 3-4 hours. 1 hour before cooking time is complete lay the strips of rump fat on the roast, cover and continue to bake for another hour.
- When done remove the caribou meat and strips of fat from the roaster. Place the cloves of garlic in the bottom of the roaster and mash up. Place the roaster on top of the stove and turn burner to medium high. Boil and stir until all drippings and small bits are mixed well.
- Add 1 cup of the water to the roaster stirring to mix well. In 1 cup of cold water add the 2 tb. of flour. Mix well and add to the roaster. Stir continuously until boiling and gravy thickens. Remove from heat.
- Carve caribou roast and cut strips of rump fat into 1 inch pieces. Serve meat slices with 1 or 2 pieces of rump fat, cover with the gravy and serve with your favorite vegetable.