Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This Korean recipe is a favorite in Korean restaurants.
Make and share this Yukgaejang (Korean Spicy Beef Soup) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb beef brisket
- 1⁄3 lb fiddlehead, cut into 3-4 inch lengths (pteridium aquilinum-fernbrake also bracken fiddleheads)
- 4 large green onions, cut into 3-4 inch lengths
- 1⁄2 onion, cut into 4 quarters
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 15 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons red pepper paste
- 9 garlic cloves
- 5 tablespoons sesame salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
Red Pepper Oil
- 4 tablespoons red pepper powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large dutch oven, combine 15 cups cold water, beef and 1/2 onion and simmer on low heat for 2 hours.
- Combine seasoning sauce and set aside.
- Remove meat from water and shred into thick strips. Discard water and 1/2 onion.
- Mix the fernbrake and shredded beef in a bowl with the seasoning sauce.
- In the dutch oven, combine the red pepper oil ingredients and heat over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove to a serving container.
- Wipe dutch oven clean and add beef broth along with the mixed items in the seasoning sauce and bring to a boil. Add green onion slices and continue to boil for 3 minutes. Serve hot with red pepper sauce, as desired.