Recipe by JackieOhNo!
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: This recipe uses 1/2 a recipe of Quick Yeast Dough, which is what I am unable to list in the ingredient list. I hope this is not too confusing, but it was the only way Zaar would let me do it. From "Festive Breads from your Food Processor", Good Food Magazine, December 1986.
- 10 whole shelled almonds
- 1⁄3 cup toasted almond, cooled
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
- confectioners' sugar (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make Quick Yeast Dough.
- Lightly butter 6-cup kugelhopf or tube pan. Evenly space 10 almonds in bottom of pan.
- Place toasted almonds, the chocolate, and confectioner's sugar in food processor fitted with steel blade; process with on/off pulses until coarsely chopped, then process without stopping until finely ground, about 1 minute.
- Heat butter and milk in small saucepan to boiling. Turn on processor and add liquid through feed tube; process 45 seconds. Add liqueur, if desired, and process just until blended.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface into 14x5-inch rectangle. Divide almond filling in half and roll each half into 12-inch long rope. Arrange pieces of filling along opposite long sides of dough 1 inch from edge. Brush center of dough lightly with water. Fold outer edges of dough over filling and foll up sides until they meet in center. Brush dough at center with water and fold bread lengthwise. Pinch to seal rolls together.
- Moisten ends with water and place loaf seam side up in prepared pan. Pinch ends together. Bruch dough lightly with water. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in warm place until risen by half, 35-45 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- With kitchen shears, make 6 evenly spaced snips in dough. Brush loaf thoroughly with water.
- Bake 5 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees; bake 15 m inutes longer.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes; invert onto wire rack to cool completely. Sift confectioner's sugar over cooled loaf. Cut into 10 equal slices.