Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
The family of a friend made something like this throughout his life. They did their best to recreate it using American ingredients. After many attempts, he came up with this recipe. It comes closest to the Old World recipe.
- Thaw phyllo dough according to package directions. Prepare filling ingredients before removing from package.
- To prepare filling, mix eggs and all three cheeses.
- Melt butter.
- Remove dough from package, placing it on a clean cloth. Cover with a lightly moistened cloth. Everytime you remove sheets of dough, replace the top covering cloth so that your dough does not dry out.
- Spread some butter on pan. Place two sheets of dough on yet another cloth. Sprinkle butter on the sheets. Put two more sheets on top of it; sprinkle with butter again. Add fifth sheet of dough.
- At one end of sheets (length wise), about 3 inches from the long edge, place several scoops of the mixture in a log shape. Do not place cheese all the way to the sides; leave a couple inches bare. Roll up. Tucking side edges under the roll, place roll in pan, seam side down. Put more butter on top.
- Repeat process for more rolls. It works best if pan is filled with rolls. I use a pan typically used for single layer cakes.
- Bake at 375 degrees for anywhere from 30 - 60 min, until golden brown.
- Let them rest for a little before cutting.
Hi Debbie! Thank you for sharing this recipe. . . I have been all over the web looking for authentic Bosnian pita; this one did the trick! I am so grateful!
Since I love recipes with phyllo and I am always searching for really good ones, and this one rates high! I used ricotta in place of the cottage cheese due to moisture factor, lots of black pepper is a must in this, I will be making this again soon, it is a great recipe! thanks for sharing Debbie!...Kitten :)