1 hr 30 mins
Debbie R.'s Note:
The family of a friend made something like this throughout his life. They did their best to recreate it using American ingredients. After many attempts, he came up with this recipe. It comes closest to the Old World recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Thaw phyllo dough according to package directions. Prepare filling ingredients before removing from package.
- 2To prepare filling, mix eggs and all three cheeses.
- 3Melt butter.
- 4Remove dough from package, placing it on a clean cloth. Cover with a lightly moistened cloth. Everytime you remove sheets of dough, replace the top covering cloth so that your dough does not dry out.
- 5Spread some butter on pan. Place two sheets of dough on yet another cloth. Sprinkle butter on the sheets. Put two more sheets on top of it; sprinkle with butter again. Add fifth sheet of dough.
- 6At one end of sheets (length wise), about 3 inches from the long edge, place several scoops of the mixture in a log shape. Do not place cheese all the way to the sides; leave a couple inches bare. Roll up. Tucking side edges under the roll, place roll in pan, seam side down. Put more butter on top.
- 7Repeat process for more rolls. It works best if pan is filled with rolls. I use a pan typically used for single layer cakes.
- 8Bake at 375 degrees for anywhere from 30 - 60 min, until golden brown.
- 9Let them rest for a little before cutting.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yugoslavian Pita
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 518.0
- Calories from Fat 357
- Total Fat 39.6 g
- Saturated Fat 24.2 g
- Cholesterol 222.7 mg
- Sodium 1031.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 34.8 g