Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 lbs yucca root, peeled, halved and cut into spears
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lemons
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, leaves only, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, cut fine julienne
- In a large saucepan, combine the yucca with enough water to cover by at least 2 inches and add the salt.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 30 minutes, until the yucca is fork-tender but still intact.
- Drain the yucca in a colander.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the yucca and stir occasionally for 5 minutes, until slightly browned.
- Add the garlic and lemon juice and toss to coat the vegetables evenly.
- Cook for 2 minutes, just to release the aroma of the garlic, and add the cilantro and bell pepper julienne.
- Toss again just to mix and transfer to a warm serving platter.