Recipe by Manami
Grilled shrimp which have been marinated in a Yucatan-Style marinade are served on plantain chips with a dollop of Guava Cream and a drizzle of Annatto Oil for a very elegant appetizer. Cooling time in the refrigerator = 30 minutes. McCormick Gourmet web site
- 1 tablespoon ground annatto seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, coarse grind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, Saigon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, ground Mediterranean
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove, ground
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 52 plantain chips
- oil, for frying
- 1⁄4 cup guava jelly
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- finely chopped cilantro
- 1 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE MARINADE:.
- Mix all ingredients through vegetable oil, in small bowl.
- Place shrimp in large resealable plastic bag or glass dish.
- Add marinade; turn to coat.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes; remove shrimp from marinade & discard any remaining marinade.
- Thread shrimp onto metal skewers.
- Grill over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes per side or until shrimp turn pink
- Remove shrimp from skewers.
- Arrange plantain chips on serving platter or individual serving plates.
- Top each plantain chip with a shrimp and a dollop of Guava Cream.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Drizzle Annatto Oil decoratively around plantain chips.
- GUAVA CREAM:.
- Microwave 1/4 cup guava jelly on HIGH 20 seconds to soften slightly (do not let boil) & stir jelly until smooth.
- Cool slightly.
- Beat 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened, with jelly until well blended and smooth.
- ANNATTO OIL:.
- Heat 1 cup vegetable oil in small saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Add 1/2 cup annatto seed cook and stir until oil is a red-orange color, about 5 minutes.
- Strain oil into glass jar & cover tightly until ready to use. (Unused oil may be stored, tightly capped, in the refrigerator for up to one month.).