Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is from a restaurant in Chengdu, China. It makes a tasty Chinese dish that is a favorite of foreigners in China.
- 1 lb narrow eggplants or 1 lb round eggplant
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili bean paste
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- Trim the ends off the eggplants and peel them. Slice the eggplants lengthwise into 2-inch long by 3/4-inch thick strips. Place the strips in a bowl, toss them with the salt, and set aside for 1 hour to draw out excess water. Rinse the strips under cool water, drain, and pat them dry with paper towels.
- In a bowl combine the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, sugar, sesame oil, green onions, chili bean paste, and rice vinegar. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over high heat until it is very hot. Add the eggplant strips and stir-fry for 5 minutes or until the eggplant is limp and cooked through. Add soy sauce mixture to the wok and stir-fry 1 additional minute. Serve with white rice.