Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Chinese New Year Salad
- 340.19 g sashimi-grade tuna, fresh
- 709.77 ml daikon radishes, peeled, finely shredded
- 709.77 ml carrots, peeled, finely shredded
- 9 slice ginger, thin quarter-sized, slices, finely shredded
- 118.29 ml mee chun preserved ginger in syrup, finely shredded
- 89.90 ml mee chun preserved scallion, in syrup, finely shredded
- 9 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1 Thai red chili pepper, seeded, finely shredded
- 1 bu green onion, finely shredded
- 1 bu cilantro, leaves only
- 89.90 ml toasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 lime, cut in half, seeded
- crisp fried shrimp chips, for garnish
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- 59.14 ml lee kum kee plum sauce
- 44.37 ml honey
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml Chinese five spice powder
- Chill fish until firm. Cut into paper thin, 2” long slices against the grain; set aside.
- In separate bowls, cover radishes and carrots with cold water; set aside until ready to assemble salad. Then rinse and squeeze out excess water.
- Place the plum sauce, honey, lime juice, sesame oil, salt and five spice powder and mix together.
- Place fish in center of a platter. Arrange daikon and carrot shreds around fish. Scatter fresh and pickled ginger, pickled scallions, lime leaves, chiles, green onions and cilantro over fish. Sprinkle with peanuts and sesame seeds.
- Just before serving pour the dressing over all. It is customary for everyone to join in and toss the salad. Using chopsticks, each diner digs from the bottom of the salad and lifts the ingredients to mix together. When the salad is fully tossed, taste for seasoning.
- Garnish with shrimp chips or fried rice stick noodles.