A simple, classic & tasty pasta salad from my childhood that was a standby whenever we "cooked out". The tangy, salty flavor is a nice counterpoint to the sweet and smoky richness of barbecued ribs or chicken. I would suggest tasting the dressing before adding the macaroni and veggies. If it's almost *too* salty/vinegary, then it will be perfect with the pasta. Also, while it can be made ahead and chilled, be aware that the pasta will absorb and damp down a lot of the flavor in the process, so if it's been chilled a while, taste and correct seasoning if needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- 2While macaroni cooks, prepare dressing in serving bowl. Combine mayonnaise, mustard, and red wine vinegar, mixing well.
- 3Add 1/2 of the salt and add the pepper. Taste, and adjust amounts of salt and vinegar if desired.
- 4Chop celery and scallions, and halve olives.
- 5Add cooked, drained and cooled macaroni to dressing in serving bowl, and mix well. Add celery, scallions and olives and combine further.
- 6Serve immediately, or cover and chill for several hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ypsi's Mom's Macaroni Salad
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.6
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 5.0 mg
- Sodium 615.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento stuffed olives