I have always felt that doughnuts were something you bought at a bakery because they were just too labor-intensive to do otherwise. This recipe for Tunisian YoYos may well have changed my mind & I will be interested to know if other chefs feel as I do. The recipe was a little vague about times, saying “60 min plus rest time of 1 hr”. So my division of times is a bit of guesswork based on recipe directions & does not include the 1 hr rest time. Enjoy!
My Private Note
1 dough ...
Units: US | Metric
For the Dough
- 3 eggs
- 2 ounces vegetable oil
- 2 ounces orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated coconut (May use desiccated coconut)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
For the Syrup
- 1Place eggs, oil, orange juice, 1 tbsp of coconut & sugar in a blender or food proc & process until smooth.
- 2Transfer the mixture to a lrg mixing bowl. Then sift in flour & baking soda. Knead to a soft dough (adding a sml amt of water if needed). Cover bowl & set aside to rest for 1 hour.
- 3Just before you are ready to cook the doughnuts, make the syrup by placing the sugar, water & lemon juice in a saucepan. Bring to a boil (while stirring) & cook until the sugar is dissolved.
- 4Reduce heat. Stir in the honey plus the remaining 1 tbsp of the coconut & simmer for 10 minutes. Keep warm.
- 5Heat a deep fat fryer to 350F (180C).
- 6Form the dough into balls about the size of a lrg walnut. Then flatten them slightly & punch a hole thru the center using your finger (which has been dipped in flour).
- 7Deep fry a few doughnuts at a time for about 4 min until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels.
- 8Dip ea doughnut into the warm lemon-honey syrup & serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for YoYos (A Tunisian Sweet Treat for ZWT-9)
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.0
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 89.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 22.3 g
- Protein 2.0 g