Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes from Rachael Ray. These nachos are even company-worthy. The ingredients and steps are a bit involved (she can do it in 30 minutes) but are very worth the effort. I made a double batch of these for a family reunion and they were devoured. *Added note - If you end up with extra grease after browning the meat, drain. I recommend assembling as written for a wonderful presentation. The chips don't get soggy (unless you leave them sitting for a very long time!). :-)
- 2 (13 ounce) bags corn tortilla chips, I like to use 2 different colors, ie. 1 bag yellow and 1 bag blue corn chips
Pico de Gallo Salsa
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (adjust to your heat level)
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, finely chopped
Beef and Beans Topping
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dark chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons Frank's red hot sauce (or up to 1 T., adjust to your heat level.)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- sour cream (optional)
- 1 avocados, sliced (optional) or 1 guacamole (optional)
- black olives, sliced (optional)
- scallion, chopped (optional)
- hot sauce (optional)
- Arrange the corn chips on a large serving platter.
- Combine the salsa ingredients and let the flavors meld.
- Make the beef and beans topping:.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high and add the olive oil, garlic, onion and jalapeno. Saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add meat and break into smaller bits. Season with salt, chili powder, cumin and the cayenne pepper sauce. Cook meat mixture until browned, about 5 minutes. (Drain any grease.).
- Stir in the beans and turn the heat down to low.
- Make the cheese sauce:.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat.
- Then add the flour, stirring and cooking for about a minute.
- Whisk in milk.
- When the milk comes to a bubble (watch carefully and keep stirring to make it lump-free and so it doesn't scald), stir in cheese using a wooden spoon.
- Remove cheese sauce from the heat.
- Pour cheese sauce evenly over the tortilla chips.
- Top evenly with the beef and beans mixture.
- Top it all off with the pico de gallo salsa (and optional toppings, if using).
- Serve it while it's hot!
These are wonderful! My husband loves nachos and he really enjoyed these. They are extremely tasty and filling. Great for football Sunday!
This is a wonderful piled-high dinner. We used doritos nacho cheese for the chips. The beef and beans topping is really good and flavorful, but for the cheese sauce, next time we would just sprinkle shredded monterey jack and then top with the additional optional toppings.
The nacho's were a hit last night. I did use black beans but I made refried beans out of them, just grated Cheddar instead of the sauce and the jalapenos were from a jar. With all of that covered I have to say that even DH dove (!) in and we loved sharing the plate while watching Capt'n Jack Sparrow's escapades. Lots of good taste here yhay we'll enjoy again. :D