1/2 Photos of You've Gotta Try These Nachos
This is one of my favorite recipes from Rachael Ray. These nachos are even company-worthy. The ingredients and steps are a bit involved (she can do it in 30 minutes) but are very worth the effort. I made a double batch of these for a family reunion and they were devoured. *Added note - If you end up with extra grease after browning the meat, drain. I recommend assembling as written for a wonderful presentation. The chips don't get soggy (unless you leave them sitting for a very long time!). :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (13 ounce) bags corn tortilla chips, I like to use 2 different colors, ie. 1 bag yellow and 1 bag blue corn chips
Pico de Gallo Salsa
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (adjust to your heat level)
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaf, finely chopped
Beef and Beans Topping
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons Frank's red hot sauce (or up to 1 T., adjust to your heat level.)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1Arrange the corn chips on a large serving platter.
- 2Combine the salsa ingredients and let the flavors meld.
- 3Make the beef and beans topping:.
- 4Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high and add the olive oil, garlic, onion and jalapeno. Saute for about 2 minutes.
- 5Add meat and break into smaller bits. Season with salt, chili powder, cumin and the cayenne pepper sauce. Cook meat mixture until browned, about 5 minutes. (Drain any grease.).
- 6Stir in the beans and turn the heat down to low.
- 7Make the cheese sauce:.
- 8In a saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat.
- 9Then add the flour, stirring and cooking for about a minute.
- 10Whisk in milk.
- 11When the milk comes to a bubble (watch carefully and keep stirring to make it lump-free and so it doesn't scald), stir in cheese using a wooden spoon.
- 12Remove cheese sauce from the heat.
- 13Pour cheese sauce evenly over the tortilla chips.
- 14Top evenly with the beef and beans mixture.
- 15Top it all off with the pico de gallo salsa (and optional toppings, if using).
- 16Serve it while it's hot!
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for You've Gotta Try These Nachos
Serving Size: 1 (526 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1606.8
- Calories from Fat 777
- Total Fat 86.4 g
- Saturated Fat 29.4 g
- Cholesterol 164.0 mg
- Sodium 1938.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 148.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.5 g
- Sugars 13.3 g
- Protein 66.1 g