1/4 Photos of Youvarlakia Avgolemono (Greek Meatball-Egg/Lemon Soup)
1 hr 5 mins
Hearty winter fare. Don't forget to serve feta cheese and crusty bread alongside. Note: although it is not traditional to have veggies in this soup here in Greece, I always put a couple in, simply because they taste good. I have carrot and potato on the ingredient list here, but I also often use some minced celery and maybe a smallish zucchini.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 lb ground pork (opt but good)
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced fine
- 6 tablespoons raw long-grain white rice
- chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh spearmint (or 2 teaspoons dried and rubbed between fingers into powder)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups water or 6 cups stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 -3 carrots, sliced
- 1 zucchini, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large potato, cubed
- 1 lemon, juice of, only
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1In a large bowl, combine the meat, minced onion, garlic, rice, 3 tablespoons chopped parsley, the mint, oregano, salt and pepper, and 1 egg, slightly beaten.
- 2Knead for a few minutes, then shape into walnut-sized meatballs and set aside.
- 3In a soup pot, bring the water or stock to boil and add the meatballs.
- 4Cook for 20 minutes.
- 5Add chopped onion, celery, carrot, zucchini and potato. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Lower the heat and gently simmer, covered, for 20-25 minutes (until the vegetables are tender), then remove from the heat.
- 7To prepare avgolemono: beat the two remaining eggs for 2 minutes and whisk in the corn flour.
- 8While beating all the while, gradually add the lemon juice.
- 9Then add 1 cup of the hot broth in a slow, steady stream (ladle), beating steadily, until nearly all the hot liquid has been added.
- 10Add the egg/stock mixture back to the soup pot and heat, being careful not to let it boil, stirring, until thickened.
- 11Serve hot, garnished with parsley.
- 12Serve this with feta cheese on the side- goes great with the little meatballs.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Youvarlakia Avgolemono (Greek Meatball-Egg/Lemon Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.1
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 237.0 mg
- Sodium 205.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 35.7 g