1/5 Photos of Your Own Crusty French Bread
2 hrs 45 mins
My father got this recipe some 40+ years ago at TWA. Crusty yet chewy outside - melt in your mouth inside. Smear with garlic butter and watch it disappear! I've taken a photo showing the bread in the hand formed foil baking pans, this is the 2nd rise. Final picture is fresh out of the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in very warm water.
- 2Stir well.
- 3Let proof for 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in 2 cups of the flour, sugar and salt until mixture is smooth; gradually beat in enough of the remaining 5 cups flour to make stiff dough.
- 5(Kitchen Aid is perfect for this).
- 6Turn out onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board and knead 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding only enough more flour to keep dough from sticking.
- 7Return to bowl; brush top with soft shortening or oil and cover with clean towel or plastic wrap.
- 8Let rise till double in bulk in warm place away drafts (approximately 45-60 minutes).
- 9Punch dough down; cover; let rise again for 30 minutes (again in warm place away from drafts) or until double in bulk.
- 10While dough rises, make boat shaped baking pans as follows:.
- 11Tear off 3 twenty-inch-long sheets of heavy aluminum foil.
- 12Fold in sides of foil approximately 1"-1 1/2" on all 4 sides to form baking pan, this will allow the bread to rise up and not spread out into a flat shaped loaf by folding the short ends together to seal, pressing thumb inside to round slightly (shape into boat)with shortest ends slightly rounded.
- 13Spray with PAM and sprinkle lightly with corn meal.
- 14Punch dough down, knead 1 minute on lightly floured pastry cloth or board.
- 15Divide dough into thirds.
- 16Roll out with the palm of your hands to a rope approximately 18 inches long; place in prepared foil pan.
- 17Repeat with remaining two-thirds dough.
- 18Make 3-4 evenly spaced shallow cuts diagonally in the top of each loaf; brush with warm water and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- 19Cover with clean towel and let rise in warm place away from drafts till double in bulk (approx. 30 min).
- 20Preheat oven to 450º.
- 21Place dish (I use an old aluminum pie plate) on lower shelf of oven and fill half way with hot tap water.
- 22Slide loaves on shelf above water.
- 23Bake for 15 minutes in 450º oven; reduce heat to 350º and bake 30 minutes longer.
- 24Bread is done when tapped and gives a hollow sound.
- 25Remove immediately from pans and let cool on cooling racks.
- 26Slice bread- spread each side with garlic butter- reassemble bread loaf and return to foil pans.
- 27Unfold edges to cover and warm in low oven (325º) till butter melts into bread.
- 28Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Your Own Crusty French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1565 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1173.3
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2342.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 241.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 33.0 g