Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 hrs
If you want to try some unusual grains—here is one way to do it.
- 118.29 ml steel cut oats
- 118.29 ml short-grain brown rice
- 118.29 ml millet
- 118.29 ml whole-grain barley
- 78.07 ml wild rice
- 59.14 ml polenta or 59.14 ml corn grits
- 44.37 ml ground flax seed or 44.37 ml flax seeds
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1656.13 ml water
- Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or overnight, until tender.
- Stir well and scoop into bowls; serve with milk or cream and brown sugar or maple syrup.
This is certainly hearty! Great change from oatmeal. I think if made with some broth and herbs, it would also be a good savory side dish. I served it with a little butter, cream and sugar. May try it with some cinnamon next time. Thanks for sharing. Made for Sept. Photo Challenge.