Recipe by Joseph Stiebler Jr.
I have tried Spinach Dip at just about every restaurant that I could find the past couple of months. I can't get enough of the stuff!! I decided to have a go at making my own. After much experimenting this is a dip that will make your tastebuds thank me.
- 20 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄3 cup salted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup fresh grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup shredded vermont sharp white cheddar cheese (extra sharp)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Take both boxes of frozen spinach and place in boiling water until cooked.
- When done strain and squeeze in a cheesecloth or dry with good old paper towels.
- It is important that the spinach be very dry.
- When you have finished drying chop the spinach into a very fine consistancy.
- When done place spinach into a large mixing bowl and put aside for later.
- In a heavy saucepan melt butter.
- Add the garlic and the onions and saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add flour to make a roux.
- Stir and cook for about 30 seconds.
- Slowly add heavy cream and as you do this stir with a whisk to prevent any lumping.
- When you see and feel everthing getting all nice and thick and bubbly you will want to add lemon juice, pecorino romano cheese, and the mozzarella cheese.
- Stir until cheese is melted and the mixture looks smooth.
- Now when you get the smoothness add the sour cream and mix for an additional minute.
- Now that this is done combine the spinach that you dried out earlier and the the yummy cheese mix.
- Fold everything together in something big until you can't see the dark green color of the spinach, (should take a minute maybe two).
- Now place the dip into your serving bowls.
- Take the Vermont White Cheddar and sprinkle enough to cover the top of each bowl, or to your taste.
- More is better!
- After this all you have to do is put a bowl in the microwave and heat for about 1 minute or until cheese is melted all the way.
- When you remove it from the microwave just stir in the White Vermont Cheddar so it mixes evenly.
- Sit back, eat and enjoy.
- Because this is not on the atkins diet, and you might gain a pound or two.