Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this recipe many years ago in Chatelaine magazine. It is a great way to use up dry cereal. I have made it with rice krispies, Honey Bunches of Oats and granola and each time they turned out great.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar or 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter or 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium apples or 1 medium pear
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups cereal (e.g. bran or corn flakes, Fruit & Fibre, Honey Bunches of Oats, Rice Krispies, muesli or granola)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a fork to stir the flour with the sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Make a well in the centre.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk with the egg and vanilla.
- Whisk in the butter.
- Peel the apple, if you wish, and coarsely chop.
- Pour the milk mixture into the centre of the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Stir in the apple, raisins and cereal.
- Place the batter in the muffin cups.
- Sprinkle with extra cereal or cinnamon sugar if desired.
- Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve right away or place in a plastic bag and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze.
I used pear and a mix of 5 diff cereal. I love it.
This is a very easy, forgiving recipe to play around with. I am trying to use up "its and bits, odds and sods" from my cupboards and fridge. I used buttermilk, brown sugar Splenda, Grapeseed oil, pear, and All Bran cereal. The muffins came out tasty, moist and dense...the pear being a particularly nice addition!! What a wonderful way to use up all those little ingredients that seem to be always present in the cupboards!!! Thanks for the posting...this recipe will definately become a favorite
I am always trying new cereal that is more healthy but the fact is I like sugary cereal that I try to force down w/ fresh fruit but never make it through the box. I have a Cure!!! I used this on a very very healthy ceral w/ no taste lots of bran and it turned out great. We didn't have an apple or pear on hand so we used 3/4 or 1cup of canned fruit cocktail and no dried fruit (didn't have). Next time I may try canned pears or an apple, and will try cranberries! Oh a must do both sugar/cinnamon combo on top and crushed cereal we used crushed cinnamon life so yummy! Thank You I enjoyed sharing w/ my 1.5 year old.