Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Betty Crocker's "Good and Easy" Cookbook from 1971, this is your basic panfried fish. For a variation, you can make Fish Almondine by browning 1/4 cup butter in a small skillet; stir in 1/4 cup toasted slivered blanched almonds, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Just before serving, top fish with this almond butter. :)
- 2 lbs fish fillets or 2 lbs fish steaks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup gold medal flour or 1 cup Bisquick or 1 cup cornmeal or 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- If fillets are large, cut into serving pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Beat egg and water slightly.
- Dip fish into egg, then coat with flour.
- Melt shortening (1/8 inch) in skillet; fry fish over medium heat, about 10 minutes.
Every once in a while it is good to go back to basics . I did not use an egg, just moistened the fish and dipped them in Panko crumbs, served with a wedge of lemon, roasted potatoes, Steamed Broccli & new garden fresh carrots Lovely Dinner Thanks Bec