Young Hearts of Romaine Salad
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash half of the anchovy filets. Add the mayo, mustard, garlic, black pepper, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire and 1/2 c grated parmesan. Whisk all ingredients together. Add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream, while whisking constantly. Keep whisking until all the oil has been emulsified and the dressing is quite stiff. If it gets too thick you can thin it with a couple tablespoons of ice water.
- Combine the anchovy oil, olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper in large skillet and place over medium heat. Add the croutons and toss to coat with the oil. Continue cooking until the croutons begin to turn golden brown stirring constantly.
- Tear the hearts of Romaine into bite sized pieces or larger depending on your preference.
- Toss the hearts with a ladle full of the dressing. Pile onto chilled plates and top with warm croutons, anchovies and grated Parmesan.
- This is wonderful served with chicken breast or sub fresh cooked salmon for the anchovies on top of the salad.