Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fresh dressing on your hearts of romaine...even the croutons are fresh!
- 8 anchovy fillets (reserve oil)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely choppped
- 1 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3⁄4 cup pure olive oil (not x virgin)
- 2 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- 2 tablespoons reserved anchovy oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 baguette, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 6 romaine lettuce hearts, washed and chilled
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash half of the anchovy filets. Add the mayo, mustard, garlic, black pepper, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire and 1/2 c grated parmesan. Whisk all ingredients together. Add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream, while whisking constantly. Keep whisking until all the oil has been emulsified and the dressing is quite stiff. If it gets too thick you can thin it with a couple tablespoons of ice water.
- Combine the anchovy oil, olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper in large skillet and place over medium heat. Add the croutons and toss to coat with the oil. Continue cooking until the croutons begin to turn golden brown stirring constantly.
- Tear the hearts of Romaine into bite sized pieces or larger depending on your preference.
- Toss the hearts with a ladle full of the dressing. Pile onto chilled plates and top with warm croutons, anchovies and grated Parmesan.
- This is wonderful served with chicken breast or sub fresh cooked salmon for the anchovies on top of the salad.