Recipe by NewNerdMom
This is not just zucchini bread with some cocoa added to make you think this is a chocolate cake. It's a wonderful moist, heavy-on-the-chocolate delicious cake. Truly, no one will ever know that there is zucchini in this recipe. And even my teenage daughter pronounced this recipe "a cinch to make."
Top Review by Sydney Mike
As a dedicated chocoholic, I can say with some certainty that this recipe does make for a wonderfully satisfying chocolate treat! Absolutely delicious even as I served it unfrosted! My son, his wife, my other half & I, we all thank you for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this fall's round of Pick A Chef]
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder (Dutch-processed preferably)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces plain yogurt or 6 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 2 cups zucchini, grated and then cut into even smaller pieces (I use my food processor on a few pulses so that the pieces are quite small)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel zucchini and cut off ends. (I use the very large zucchini from my garden because the whole zucchini - seeds and all can be used.).
- Using a food processor, grate and then process zucchini until pieces are quite fine. (Do NOT make a puree.).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cake pan(s) by using shortening or butter and then using enough cocoa powder to lightly coat 9x13 pan or two 9-inch round pans. If using round pans, cut a round of parchment for the bottom of the pans to be sure of easy release.
- In large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Sift 1/3 of dry ingredients into creamed mixture then add 1/3 of yogurt.
- Continue adding sifted dry ingredients and yogurt into mixture by thirds until it is all combined.
- Fold in zucchini.
- Pour into cake pan(s).
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out with just a few crumbs.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans onto cooling rack.
- Frost with your favorite frosting.