Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love chocolate pie, but wanted a healthier version. This tastes like chocolate mousse, not tofu.
- 2 (12 1/3 ounce) boxes firm tofu (Undrained)
- 1 (12 ounce) bag chocolate chips (I use semi sweet, but you could also use carob, or your preferred flavour)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 prebaked pie crust
- Blend the tofu and its accompanying liquid in a food processor until smooth.
- Melt chocolate chips over low heat using a double boiler.
- Add melted chocolate and vanilla or almond extract to the tofu.
- Process until smooth.
- Pour into the prebaked pie crust, and chill until firm.
- (1-2 hours).
You'll have much better results if you use silken tofu, DRAINED and a heavy duty food processor. You can't get firm tofu smooth, even with the liquid. I've made this recipe lots of times and no one knows it's tofu until you tell them.
Well, I had to throw it out. I couldn't get the tofu "smooth". I finally gave up and decided that maybe I should go ahead and add the warm chocolate and maybe that would give it the density (?) to really get smooth. it didn't work. later a friend suggested i should have gotten SILKEN tofu (which they was out of stock at my local market). hmmm. i don't know. very disappointing.
This was very good. I used carob chips and a ground nut crust. Tasty! Thanks for a great recipe!