Recipe by Wish I Could Cook
If ever a recipe was in need of an extreme make-over, it's the quiche. Exit all those high-fat, high-cholesterol ingredients and enter a fabulous new recipe that tastes great, is actually healthy for you and best of all, is quick to put together when you use a prepared pie crust. From the book "Quick Fix Vegetarian" by Robin Robertson. Be creative with your veggies, asparagus,spinach, sun dried tomatoes, artichokes... Or skip the veggies and use some tempeh bacon or TVP crumbles. So many options! Note, if you use silken tofu, you may want to add 1/4c thickener such as cornstarch or arrowroot
Top Review by Lalaloula
What a great quiche recipe! It came out so tasty with a wonderful custardy filling that reminded me a lot of traditional egg based quiches. So great! The seasonings are a wonderful starting point, I especially enjoyed the mustard! To complement the veggies I used (carrots the first time round and zucchini the second time round), I added some more garlic, cayenne pepper, rosemary and black pepper.
I only had 1/2 the tofu needed and no nutritional yeast, but I threw everything together and it worked out perfectly nonetheless. :)
I had some hard-boiled eggs leftover (Im not a vegan) and so I added them to the quiche (making it non-vegan). I hope that was alright and did not totally destroy the purpose of the recipes. The second time I left them out and added more veggies and that was great, too.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this wonderful recipe with us, hon. It is my new go-to vegan quiche recipe and I shall make it often again.
For the crust I used 1/2 of this fantastic recipe: Recipe #282494
Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap # 48 August 2012.
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml chopped onion
- 1-2 garlic clove, minced
- 354.88 ml cooked vegetables, of choice
- 2.46 ml salt
- 453.59 g extra firm tofu
- 118.29 ml soymilk
- 78.07 ml nutritional yeast (optional) or 78.07 ml vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- 9.85 ml Dijon mustard
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 118.29 ml shredded vegan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-bake the pie crust.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the onions until soft. Add garlic and cook one additional minute. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a food processor, combine the tofu, soy milk, nutrional yeast mustard, cayenne, and salt. Process until smooth.
- Fold together tofu mixture, veggies and cheese.
- Pour into crust and bake until firm and lightly browned, about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting.