Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Whenever we go somewhere for a back yard BBQ, I am asked to bring my macaroni salad. I think the "secret" that makes this macaroni salad different from others is the mixture of miracle whip and mayo. You know, some people like mayo...some like miracle whip. This way, everybody is "half" pleased!! This is another one of my "throw together" recipes, so I have tried my best to give some type of measurements.
- 1 (16 ounce) box small shell pasta, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 small sweet onion, diced into small pieces
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- colby cheese or monterey jack cheese, diced into small bite sized pieces
- NOTE: The measurements on the miracle whip, mayonnaise, pickle juice and sugar can be adjusted to your taste.
- Honestly, I never measure "exactly.".
- Also, use as much or as little cheese as you would like.
- Cook macaroni according to directions.
- When draining, run cold water over to keep it from sticking together and to "chill" it.
- Mix mayonnaise, miracle whip, onion, pickle juice and sugar together to make "sauce.".
- After macaroni is completely drained, mix macaroni, "sauce", eggs and cheese until everything is coated and mixed well.
- The longer it chills, the better it gets!
This is an awesome recipe!! I stumbeled across it the other day and every since then i knew it was going to be good!! I did make a few small changes tho... I used a few things i had on hand (bowtie pasta, sweet relish, and grated monteray jack) but followed teh recipe besides that. This is very simple and easy to "throw" together! Cant wait to have this for dinner & lunch tomorrow (then i will probably add a cup of shredded cooked chicken breast.)It tastes soooo good!! Will definatly make this again! Thanks for sharing this recipe Shae!!
4 eggs is probably a lot for some people...but we like ours with lots! Thanks for bringing this to my attention SiSi. Might I suggest for anybody wanting to try this in the future to cut it down to 2 eggs (unless you like a lot). My mom also makes this same recipe and she uses double of the pickle juice and ups the mayo/MW too. Macaroni salad is such a versatile classic!! :)
I thought it was bland. I added more pickle juice, and tried a little mustard but then it tasted like egg salad! Oh well.