1/1 Photo of Yosemite Chicken Stew With Cornmeal Dumplings (Low Fat)
1 hr 5 mins
Real comfort food that is good for you! How good is that? Warming and homey and kinda makes you want to snuggle into your flannel P.J.'s. I always add a bit of powdered chicken soup base to give it that final flavor boost.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the stew
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas
For the cornmeal dumplings
- 1Place chicken, onion, carrot, celery, salt, pepper, cloves, bay leaf, and water in a large saucepan. Heat to boiling; cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook about 1/2 hour or until chicken is tender.
- 2Remove chicken and vegetables from broth. Strain broth.
- 3Skim fat from broth; measure and, if necessary, add water to make 3 cups liquid.
- 4Mix cornstarch with 1 cup cooled broth.
- 5Pour into saucepan with remaining broth; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened.
- 6Add basil, peas, and reserved vegetables to sauce; stir to combine.
- 7Add chicken and heat slowly to boiling while preparing cornmeal dumplings.
- 8For the dumplings:.
- 9Sift together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- 10Mix together milk and oil. Add milk mixture all at once to dry ingredients; stir just enough to moisten flour and evenly distribute liquid. Dough will be soft.
- 11Drop by full tablespoons on top of braised meat or stew. Cover tightly; heat to boiling. Reduce heat (do not lift cover) to simmering and steam about 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yosemite Chicken Stew With Cornmeal Dumplings (Low Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (531 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.4
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 69.0 mg
- Sodium 831.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 37.3 g