1/17 Photos of Yorkshire Pudding
Ian & Carol Rice's Note:
This recipe comes from Brian Turner, the greatest living Yorkshire chef. It's chief glory is that all the measurements are by volume so adjusting it to suit larger or smaller groups is dead easy. I always use a yogurt container to measure it but you could use a bucket if you've a large group for which to cater.
My Private Note
- 1Preheat the oven to hot (425F/220C/Gas 7)
- 2Put a teaspoonful of oil or dripping in each of several muffin tins or, to be truly Yorkshire, a couple of tablespoonsful in a larger roasting tin and place in the oven until the fat is really hot and beginning to smoke. Meanwhile combine the rest of the ingredients and beat to form a batter of the consistency of double cream.
- 3If you wish you can add mixed dried herbs to add a savoury flavour.
- 4When the fat is smoking take the tin out of the oven and place it over a low light so that it doesn't cool as you add the batter.
- 5Pour in the batter If you're using muffin tins don't over fill.
- 6Remember that the puddings will rise and puff up.
- 7Put the tin back into the top of the oven as soon as possible and leave for about 20-25 minutes by which time they will be puffed up and crisp.
- 8When my grandmother used to make Yorkshire pudding to go with the Sunday roast we would eat it in the true Yorkshire way.
- 9That is, as a first course with just a savoury gravy poured over it. After all, the idea of Yorkshire pudding is to fill you up so that you don't want so much of the more expensive meat! If there was any of the pudding left over as a treat we kids would have it as a desert with Golden Syrup poured over it. Servings: 4 Ian Rice (Yorkshireman)
Browse Our Top European Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yorkshire Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.6
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 234.5 mg
- Sodium 116.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 12.8 g