Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here's a great cake/pudding for Halloween/ Bonfire Night & Winter. Equally as good served cold or hot with custard - a great Winter warmer. We use this recipe throughout the year & it can be frozen too.
- 9 ounces flour
- 7 ounces plain white sugar
- 3 1⁄2 ounces porridge oats
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 3 ounces soft margarine
- 2 ounces lard
- 7 ounces golden syrup
- 3 ounces black treacle
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Mix the flour, sugar, oats & ginger together in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Melt the fats in a pan. Before they get too hot, add the syrup and treacle; let it melt a little. Do not overeat, certainly do not boil.
- Pour this mixture into dry ingredients in bowl. Drop bicarbonate of soda into centre, sprinkle the vinegar on the soda and watch it fizz.
- Put the milk into the syrup pan, warm it a little to clean the syrup from pan and then add to bowl.
- Now stir it all up well. When mixed it should pour like a batter mixture. Pour it into a large greased and floured roasting tin.
- Bake at gas 4 / 350°F, slightly above the middle of the oven for 1 hour. Look at it in 15-20 minutes to see if middle has lifted. If so, shake it to let it sink again, turn tin around and allow to continue cooking.
- Allow to cool in tin. Cut into quarters. Store 3 days for preference before eating. This keeps well.
- * If you have no treacle use 10 oz of golden syrup.