Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I think I got this recipe from the "Two Fat Ladies" show. I haven't made it yet but it looked good. Would travel well so good for a picnic. All measurements in metric
- 3 eggs
- 125 g brown sugar
- 150 g butter
- 250 g black treacle
- 250 g flour
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat oven to 150°C.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add 1 egg at a time incorporating well.
- Sift all dry ingredients together.
- Add treacle and lemon juice to the butter/egg mix.
- Gently fold in the dry ingredients then pour into a lined 7 inch square cake tin.
- Bake for 1 hour. Cool in tin for 20 mins before turning out.
- Serve buttered.
This is a two fat ladies recipe, I have their recipe book and made this once, it's actually quite dry. Doesn't need to cook for an hour, 40 mins is more like it. The ginger taste is great, just not moist enough.