Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditional Yorkshire "soup" to warm up the winter nights - eventually obtained from an ex-girlfriends mother, after much persuading.
- 1 pint cold water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 ounces green lentils
- 1 onion
- 3 carrots
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, halved
- 1 lb potato, roughly chopped
- beef stock cube (oxo)
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef (cold from Fridge)
- Place water in a pan, season and add the Bay leaves and Lentils, Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots and Mushrooms, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook on low heat untill potatoes are nearly cooked.
- Add Stock cube and cubed corned Beef.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes, thicken if necessary.
- Serve with crusty Bread as a hearty soup.
I used this recipe as a guide and loved it. We skipped the carrots and mushrooms and step 2. The addition of bay leaf was yummy. I used canned beef broth for liquid and cooked it uncovered to let the liquid evaporate. We will make this again and try it with the veggies. Thanks Matt!
Good alternative for leftover corned beef if you like lentils. DH said it needed to be juicier. I added fresh ground pepper and summer savory.