Recipe by Matt Dillingham
Traditional Yorkshire "soup" to warm up the winter nights - eventually obtained from an ex-girlfriends mother, after much persuading.
Top Review by LaurietheLibrarian
I used this recipe as a guide and loved it. We skipped the carrots and mushrooms and step 2. The addition of bay leaf was yummy. I used canned beef broth for liquid and cooked it uncovered to let the liquid evaporate. We will make this again and try it with the veggies. Thanks Matt!
- 1 pint cold water
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 ounces green lentils
- 1 onion
- 3 carrots
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, halved
- 1 lb potato, roughly chopped
- beef stock cube (oxo)
- 1 (12 ounce) can corned beef (cold from Fridge)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water in a pan, season and add the Bay leaves and Lentils, Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots and Mushrooms, simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook on low heat untill potatoes are nearly cooked.
- Add Stock cube and cubed corned Beef.
- Cook for a further 10 minutes, thicken if necessary.
- Serve with crusty Bread as a hearty soup.