1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This traditional Korean recipe is considered by some to be health food Korean style. You can use any of the following Korean seasonings as dipping sauce for the chicken pieces - Korean Vinegar Sauce Seasoning 488694, Korean Mustard Sauce Seasoning 488695, and Korean Red Pepper Seasoning 488696.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -4 lb) young roasting chickens, fresh (thaw completely if frozen)
- 1/2 cup glutinous rice
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled
- 6 chinese jujubes (dae chu, dried is ok)
- 6 chestnuts, peeled (dried is ok)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 green onion, sliced into thin rings (garnish)
- 1Remove the giblets and tips of the wings from the chicken. If it is not a supermarket bird, remove the lower legs, feet and head as well. Rinse the chicken and wipe dry.
- 2Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the rice and 5 cloves. Sew the cavity shut with kitchen string. Chop the onion into halves and quarters.
- 3Place in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add the jujubes, chestnuts, ginger, onion and remaining cloves of garlic. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- 4Remove the chicken and chop into 2 pieces-straight down the middle to separate into two halves. Remove the rice to a separate serving dish. Dispose of the kitchen string. Keep broth at a simmer.
- 5Separate each half into wing and breast pieces and return to pot. Check seasonings and serve immediately with cavity rice on the side. Garnish with sliced green onion.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yonggyebaeksuk (Korean Spring Chicken Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 834.2
- Calories from Fat 475
- Total Fat 52.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 292.8 mg
- Sodium 239.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 60.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: