Recipe by Member #610488
This traditional Korean recipe is considered by some to be health food Korean style. You can use any of the following Korean seasonings as dipping sauce for the chicken pieces - Korean Vinegar Sauce Seasoning 488694, Korean Mustard Sauce Seasoning 488695, and Korean Red Pepper Seasoning 488696.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) young roasting chickens, fresh (thaw completely if frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup glutinous rice
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled
- 6 chinese jujubes (dae chu, dried is ok)
- 6 chestnuts, peeled (dried is ok)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 green onion, sliced into thin rings (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the giblets and tips of the wings from the chicken. If it is not a supermarket bird, remove the lower legs, feet and head as well. Rinse the chicken and wipe dry.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the rice and 5 cloves. Sew the cavity shut with kitchen string. Chop the onion into halves and quarters.
- Place in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add the jujubes, chestnuts, ginger, onion and remaining cloves of garlic. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken and chop into 2 pieces-straight down the middle to separate into two halves. Remove the rice to a separate serving dish. Dispose of the kitchen string. Keep broth at a simmer.
- Separate each half into wing and breast pieces and return to pot. Check seasonings and serve immediately with cavity rice on the side. Garnish with sliced green onion.