Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1 (3 -4 lb) young roasting chickens, fresh (thaw completely if frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup glutinous rice
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled
- 6 chinese jujubes (dae chu, dried is ok)
- 6 chestnuts, peeled (dried is ok)
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 green onion, sliced into thin rings (garnish)
- Remove the giblets and tips of the wings from the chicken. If it is not a supermarket bird, remove the lower legs, feet and head as well. Rinse the chicken and wipe dry.
- Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the rice and 5 cloves. Sew the cavity shut with kitchen string. Chop the onion into halves and quarters.
- Place in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add the jujubes, chestnuts, ginger, onion and remaining cloves of garlic. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken and chop into 2 pieces-straight down the middle to separate into two halves. Remove the rice to a separate serving dish. Dispose of the kitchen string. Keep broth at a simmer.
- Separate each half into wing and breast pieces and return to pot. Check seasonings and serve immediately with cavity rice on the side. Garnish with sliced green onion.