Recipe by michellebsalazar
I received this recipe from my mother-in-law who is from Bucaramanga, Colombia. It's delicious!!
Top Review by Cara in Lubbock
My family LOVES flan. Tonight I made your recipe and they love it better than my usual. My daughter thinks it tastes just like the flan at Abuelo's and that is her favorite...thanks.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt the sugar in a non-stick loaf pan over low heat, sliding the pan around constantly until the sugar is liquid but not burned. Alternatively you could melt the sugar in a separate pot and pour into a loaf pan.
- Combine the can of condensed milk, 3/4 of the same can of water, eggs and vanilla extract in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour this mixture over the melted sugar in the loaf pan.
- Prepare a bano de maria (bain marie) by placing the loaf pan into a casserole dish and fill the casserole dish with water around the loaf pan until the water is about half-way up the loaf pan.
- Place casserole dish with water and loaf pan steady in the middle into the oven on the center rack and bake for about 1 hour. Flan is done when you insert a knife into the center and it comes out clean.
- After removing, take the loaf pan out of the hot water and place in refrigerator for 5 hours or overnight until completely cooled. To serve, place a dish over the pan and hold together while flipping upside down. Flan should slide right out once it's cool enough.