Recipe by ** Poppy **
This is lovely and refreshing for the upcoming summer months, served with salad and and crusty bread.
- 2 scallions
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and mashed to a pulp
- 3 tablespoons minced of fresh mint
- 3⁄4-1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the scallions into paper-thin rounds three-quarters of the way up their green sections.
- Put in a bowl.
- Pour 4 cups of ice water over them.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- Prick the eggplant in five to six places with a fork.
- Now lay it directly over or under a flame.
- If you are roasting it on top of the stove, keep the heat on low.
- If you are roasting it under the broiler, keep the eggplant a few inches away from the heat.
- As one side gets charred, turn the eggplant over slightly, using a pair of tongs to do so.
- Roast the entire eggplant this way.
- It should turn very limp by the time it is done.
- Peel the eggplant under cold running water and leave it to drain in a colander for 5 minutes.
- Then mince the flesh.
- Put the yogurt in a bowl and beat lightly with a fork or a whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggplant, garlic, mint, salt, olive oil, and black pepper.
- Drain the scallions and pat dry.
- Add them to the yogurt and mix.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.