Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 12 mins
I made this bread this morning. I used soy yogurt instead of dairy. I also added a tablespoon of caraway seeds and a tablespoon of Kirkland brand Organic No-Salt Seasoning. The texture of this bread is dense and somewhat spongy. The crust is nice and crispy. This recipe makes 1 two pound loaf of bread.
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (110-115'F)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Add all the ingredients in the order given above making sure that you do not let the yeast touch any of the wet ingredients.
- My machine beeps part way through the process and I added the caraway seed and the no-salt seasoning at that time.
- When the bread is done, using oven mitts, remove the tray from the bread machine and shake the loaf out onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before slicing and slather with some Earth Balance vegan margarine, so yummy.
- Bon Appetit!
This was a tasty loaf of bread that I will definitely make again. It was very good for sandwiches and I also used it to make the best French toast ever (Denny's-Style French Toast). I will definitely be making this again. The only change I made was I didn't add any seasonings or caraway seeds and I used 1% yogurt as that is what I had on hand. Thanks for posting!