Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A salad for a light dinner, or a light lunch
- 1 peeled medium cucumber
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and drained
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- half cucumbers lenghtwise, and remove seeds, then slice thinly.
- Place cucumbers into a medium bowl, and sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain, squeezing cucumber slightly to remove excessive moisture.
- Add tomatoes, and onion.
- Mix yogurt, parsley, cilantro, and cumin in a separate bowl.
- Pour over vegetables and gently toss.
- Cover and chill until serving time.
Fresh and refreshing - this is a great salad. I made some changes but kept the integrity of the dish. I used long English cucumber, so I didn't bother peeling or seeding it and it looks nicer if you don't! I also made 1/2 of the dressing with only 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, which was perfect for me. Made for wc's Football Pool win for week 3. Thanks weekend cooker! :)
This is a very refreshing salad with bright flavours and the yogurt dressing really cuts the fat from my normal mayonnaise-based dressings. For me, there was possibly a touch too much cumin but that's just personal taste. I could see using this dressing for all sorts of recipes but next I'll try it with turkey burgers. Thanks for a lovely salad recipe! Made for PAC 2012.
This was a little too creamy for me....I halved the sauce as suggested by other posters, but it was still too much for me. I thought it overpowered the flavor of the cucumber and tomatoes. I did use fresh parsley and cilantro. I also salted and drained the cucumbers. The cumin added an unexpected element in the sauce, which accompanied the cucumber and tomato very well. I could see adding some diced avocado as well.