- Preheat oven to 180°C Grease and flour a 20cm cake pan.
- Creame butter, sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at time. Add yoghurt and mix well.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda. Fold this into butter mix.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Take about 1/4 of egg whites and mix through cake batter to losen up, then gently fold through the remaining egg whites.
- Pour into cake pan and bake for 50 minutes Test for doness.
- While cake is baking, make syrup by combineing sugar and water and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 10 minutes Remove from heat and add rose water. Cool.
- Let cake cool in pan for 5 mins, then turn out onto serving plate and spoon over the cool syrup.