This is a staple in our home. A simple salad that is made throughout the Middle East, Arabian influenced African countries such as Sudan were it is called Salatet Zabady bil Ajur & the Mediterranean. It is served as a mezza or salad side dish. It is especially good as a cool sauce to be paired with hot rice dishes as we do. Timman Z'affaran (Iraqi Saffron Rice With Meat), for example. Modified from Delights from the Garden of Eden by Nawal Nasrallah. Prep time does not include 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup plain balkan yogurt (thick yogurt, though you could use regular if you wish to)
- 1 cup cucumber, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced and crushed
- sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon mint, finely chopped (optional, but I do like to add it depending what it is served with) or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried mint, crushed (optional, but I do like to add it depending what it is served with)
- In a bowl stir yogurt until creamy. Add finely diced cucumber, minced and crushed garlic, sea salt to taste, and optional mint. Stir well and refrigerate for about 30 minutes before serving but not too much longer or cucumbers will lose their crunch.