Recipe by Dancer^
Low-Fat Yogurt Rice
Top Review by Wistaria
I really liked this dish. I had never had anything like it before! I love the flavors and the texture. I made it extra spicy to my taste. The directions were really clear and though I usually use a rice maker to cook my rice, I preferred this method. I used higher-fat yogurt and milk because this was the main dish. Though it helped it stand on its own, I think I would have to serve it with something else to round out the meal next time. It went together very quickly and you can make it pretty much from stuff you have on hand-a perfect weeknight meal! I used brown rice and peas but other than that, I stuck to the recipe.
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons mung dal
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil
- 1 serrano chili, minced
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 1⁄4 cucumber, peel, seed and mince
- 2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to boil in saucepan and add rice. Return to boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender and water is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, toast mustard seeds and dal in skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and oil until mustard seeds begin to pop, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork and stir in mustard seeds, dal, chile, ginger and cucumber.
- Combine yogurt, milk and salt. Lightly stir into rice with fork.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.