Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
This delicious, tangy fruit topping goes with almost any fruit. Try it with chilled fresh apricots, sliced bananas with red cherries, etc. From Best of Scandinavian Cooking. I haven't tried this yet so the cooking time for the crumbs is an estimate. If you get to this before I do, let me know how long it took to brown.
Top Review by katew
Easy and delicious !! I used wholemeal crumbs that were in my freezer from a leftover loaf, raw sugar plus a pinch of cinnamon. The crumbs then went over diced cooked apples and plain unsweetened yogurt - yum !! Made for ZWT 9.
- 118.29 ml pumpernickel bread, crumbs (fine soft crumbs) or 118.29 ml rye breadcrumbs (fine soft crumbs)
- 14.79 ml butter
- 29.58 ml raw sugar (or more) or 29.58 ml brown sugar (or more)
- 236.59 ml plain yogurt or 236.59 ml sour cream, chilled
- 4 apricots, chilled (or other fruit) or 4 bananas (or other fruit) or 946.36 ml red cherries (or other fruit)
Directions See How It's Made
- Slowly saute bread crumbs in butter until toasted and very crisp, stirring frequently.
- Allow crumbs to cool and drain on paper towel.
- Mix with sugar to sweeten.
- Whip chilled yogurt until smooth, turn into serving bowl and sprinkle with crumb mixture.
- Spoon over chilled fruits.