Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
Who would have thought? A GUILT FREE Hollandaise Sauce that does not compromise on flavour!!! This is our go-to recipe and we find it better than the sauces filled with butter. Sauce can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 1 week. From 'Smart Cooking' byAnne Lindsay.
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt, plain
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch fresh ground pepper
- optional 1 tbsp fresh dill or parsley
- Use double boiler or like me - place a strainer/sieve over a sauce pan of water and place a bowl in the sieve.
- Beat yogurt, lemon juice, egg yolks well
- Heat over simmering water, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened, approx 15 min (sauce will become thinner after about 10 min and then thicken again).
- Remove from heat and stir in salt, mustard, pepper and dill/parsley (if using).
I will start by saying that I approached this recipe skeptically - I am a huge fan of hollandaise and I don't like yoghurt but the reduction in calories and fat was hard to pass up. I made the recipe as directed and used a hit of lemon pepper as I generally do with the 'real deal'. I can't say that I like it quite as much as the 1/4 lb. of butter version but I sure like enough to make it again and again and feel virtuous about it too. We have dubbed this 'faux Hollandaise' and enjoyed it very much. It will be nice to have Eggs Benedict more frequently than I currently allow myself. I'll save the full fat, butter laden version for special occasions and use this one in between. Thanks for sharing. Made for the Bistro Babes - ZWT 8
Holy cow - it actually worked. I like my Hollandaise on the tart side and the yogurt worked well in that regard. You can halve the lemon and skip the mustard and it's much milder that way. It tastes more like the packets, but it was still really good. I'll be keeping this after I finish losing weight. No more butter for me.
SO good! I love it, was worried it would be horrible but its awesome, the more I have it the more i like it(: ill be making it lots and lots now, my whole family ( who are cery picky) like it!