Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a fantastic Turkish dessert to be remembered.
Make and share this Yogurt Dessert recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind or 1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons ground pistachio nuts
- 2 cups fresh strawberries or 2 cups sliced frozen strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In a mixing bowl, add yogurt and beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Gradually beat in icing sugar, eggs, butter, flour and rind until batter is smooth, about 4 minutes.
- Add baking powder and beat lightly, DO NOT OVERBEAT.
- Prepare a 9" x 13" oven-proof casserole dish or baking pan by spraying with a vegetable oil.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated 350 F (180 C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Test for doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into center; should come out dry.
- About 20 minutes before cake is done, make the syrup.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, water and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep hot.
- In a cold mixing bowl, add whipping cream and beat until cream starts to thicken.
- Add vanilla extract and beat for 10 seconds.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until cream is thickened.
- Cut cake into serving pieces and place on individual dessert plates.
- Pour hot syrup over each piece, set aside and let cool.
- To serve, sprinkle each piece with ground pistachio nuts, whipped cream and strawberries.
Really good lemon flavour. I used less sugar in the cake, and it was good for those who prefer not too sweet desserts.