1 hr 5 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This is a fantastic Turkish dessert to be remembered.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind or 1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- 3In a mixing bowl, add yogurt and beat with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- 4Gradually beat in icing sugar, eggs, butter, flour and rind until batter is smooth, about 4 minutes.
- 5Add baking powder and beat lightly, DO NOT OVERBEAT.
- 6Prepare a 9" x 13" oven-proof casserole dish or baking pan by spraying with a vegetable oil.
- 7Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 8Bake in preheated 350 F (180 C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes.
- 9Test for doneness by inserting a wooden toothpick into center; should come out dry.
- 11About 20 minutes before cake is done, make the syrup.
- 12In a saucepan, combine sugar, water and lemon juice.
- 13Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- 14Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 15Remove from heat and keep hot.
- 17In a cold mixing bowl, add whipping cream and beat until cream starts to thicken.
- 18Add vanilla extract and beat for 10 seconds.
- 19Gradually add sugar and beat until cream is thickened.
- 20Cut cake into serving pieces and place on individual dessert plates.
- 21Pour hot syrup over each piece, set aside and let cool.
- 22To serve, sprinkle each piece with ground pistachio nuts, whipped cream and strawberries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yogurt Dessert
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 464.7
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 92.8 mg
- Sodium 94.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 62.0 g
- Protein 5.5 g