Recipe by Galley Wench
Fun and easy to make, even on a boat! When we leave port for several days this comes in handy! This can be made in a crock pot or a sauce pan. Besure to watch the milk carefully that it doesn't scortch. All you need are a crock-pot or pan, wide-mouth thermos bottle, an instant read thermometer, milk, powdered milk, and some lactobacillus powder (available at health food stores) or some plain yogurt from previous batch or purchased plain yogurt with live culture.
- 946.36 ml milk
- 59.16-118.32 ml nonfat dry milk powder (The more powder the thicker the yogurt)
- 44.37-59.16 ml plain yogurt (or from previous batch)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk and powdered milk in crockpot set on high; heat until temperature reaches 200 degrees F. (A small sauce pan can be used, however watch carefully that the milk does not burn.).
- Allow milk to cool until it is warm, not hot (110 degrees F).
- Add the plain yogurt and stir well.
- Fill thermos with hot water.
- Drain hot water from wide-mouthed thermos and fill with yogurt mixture.
- Cap and set aside for 4 to 8 hours.
- The longer the yogurt sets the sharper the flavor.
- Store in the refrigerator; the yogurt will continue to thicken.
- Sweeten with fruit or honey.