Recipe by kittycatmom
This is one of my new favorites! My DH loves blueberries, so I sometimes subsitute blueberries for the the cranberry sauce. Delicious! **Time does not include cooling. Found on King Arthur's Flour Website
Top Review by StacyMD187373
Really good coffee cake, but needs a little more filling. Took a little while to make, but was very tasty. I added some chopped pecans to the topping and left out the extra 2 Tbsp of flour. Thanks for posting!
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour or 1 cup organic white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour or 2 tablespoons organic white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt or 1 cup flavored yogurt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- To make the streusel: In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Add the flour, beating until even crumbs form. Scoop the mixture into a smaller bowl, and set it aside.
- To make the batter: In the same bowl in which you've just made the streusel (you can use a different bowl if you want, but this saves on washing dishes), cream together the butter and brown sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in the eggs, scraping the bowl and again beating until smooth. Beat in the yogurt, extracts, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flour. The mixture will be fairly stiff. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Dollop the cranberry sauce on top, breaking it up with a fork first, if necessary. Sprinkle the streusel over all.
- To bake the coffeecake: Bake coffeecake for 40 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove it from oven, and cool for 30 minutes before serving (or serve it hot from the oven, if you don't mind it crumbling a bit!).