Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Inspired by the gluten-free crust-free pumpkin "cheesecake" recipe I made recently, I decided to try my hand at making a cheesecake-like custard with yogurt although this is certainly not gluten-free and I had eggs to use up for binding. Prep time doesn't include making the yogurt "cheese".
- Strain the yogurt as best as you can (Greek requires less straining) to get it to a very thick texture sort of like cheese. The best way to do this is to layer some cheesecloth in a colander, secure it into a bowl to catch all the whey and water, and leave in in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the yogurt cheese from the cheesecloth and put it into a food processor or bowl, pouring out the whey in the sink, the next day.
- Beat the mixture together with an electric mixer or food processor.
- Pour into an ungreased 9" pie pan and bake for 45-50 minutes at 350F or until set. It may appear bubbly and "rising" a little, don't be alarmed. The whey's gone but the yogurt cultures are still there and they're acting up.
- Let sit in the oven once it's turned off for a while before transferring to a wire rack or silpat, then put in the fridge once it's no longer hot to the touch.