Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe includes instructions for making homemade yogurt cheese. You could also substitute sour cream in place of the yogurt or make is simpler still and use store-bought cream cheese or goat cheese. If using store-bought cheese skip step 1. This recipe is adapted from "The Essential Book of Jewish Festival Cooking" by Phyllis Glazer with Miriyam Glazer. Serve with bread, crostini, or vegetable sticks. Preparation time does not include making the yogurt cheese (overnight).
- 3 cups yogurt or 1 1⁄2 cups cream cheese
- 6 green olives, pitted and chopped
- 6 black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon pistachio nut, toasted and chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon capers, coarsely chopped
- coarsely ground fresh black pepper (optional)
- To make yogurt cheese: Use a large metal strainer and line with some dampened cheesecloth; spoon in about 2 cups of yogurt.
- Gather up the ends of the cheesecloth and squeeze to extract as much liquid as you can out of the yogurt.
- Untwist the cheeseclcoth and place the yogurt, cheesecloth and strainer over a large bowl to continue draining, in the refrigerator, overnight until it is the consistency of cream cheese.
- Combine the yogurt cheese, green and black olives, pistachio nuts, parsley and capers; spread in a shallow bowl or plate.
- Season with coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.
- Garnish the center with chopped pistachio nuts and ring the outside with chopped parsley.
- Serve with bread, crostini, or vegetable sticks.