This recipe includes instructions for making homemade yogurt cheese. You could also substitute sour cream in place of the yogurt or make is simpler still and use store-bought cream cheese or goat cheese. If using store-bought cheese skip step 1. This recipe is adapted from "The Essential Book of Jewish Festival Cooking" by Phyllis Glazer with Miriyam Glazer. Serve with bread, crostini, or vegetable sticks. Preparation time does not include making the yogurt cheese (overnight).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups yogurt or 1 1/2 cups cream cheese
- 6 green olives, pitted and chopped
- 6 black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon pistachio nut, toasted and chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon capers, coarsely chopped
- coarsely ground fresh black pepper (optional)
- 1To make yogurt cheese: Use a large metal strainer and line with some dampened cheesecloth; spoon in about 2 cups of yogurt.
- 2Gather up the ends of the cheesecloth and squeeze to extract as much liquid as you can out of the yogurt.
- 3Untwist the cheeseclcoth and place the yogurt, cheesecloth and strainer over a large bowl to continue draining, in the refrigerator, overnight until it is the consistency of cream cheese.
- 4Combine the yogurt cheese, green and black olives, pistachio nuts, parsley and capers; spread in a shallow bowl or plate.
- 5Season with coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.
- 6Garnish the center with chopped pistachio nuts and ring the outside with chopped parsley.
- 7Serve with bread, crostini, or vegetable sticks.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yogurt Cheese With Olives, Capers and Pistachios
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.9
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 23.8 mg
- Sodium 260.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 6.9 g